Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Why do we blog? Or better, for whom?

One of the blogs I read regularly (see the link to A Simple Jew on the right), blogged today about having nothing to say. And decided that quality was better than quantity. Some people blog daily, even if their post is a "one-liner". Others blog only with news, or significant thoughts. I fall somewhere in between.

I thought I started blogging to see if I would talk less, but I discovered that it did not affect how much I talked. (Sorry PPC.) So why do we blog? For ourselves? For an audience? Do all our posts need to be cute? Provocative? Controversial? Some blogs are one or the other. Mine are all three and more. I blog because writing lets me make my thoughts concrete, and I blog for myself. However, blogging is still a public forum. Anyone can/could find and read my blog. I like having readers, and comments. If those who choose to read my blog also enjoy what I have written, then that is an added bonus.

4 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I blog because I can. ;)

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this issue. Thank you.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Chaim said...

I just started bloging, one of the reasons i decided to blog was me and my wife are a real life - To the T - "Opposites Attract" story (im the ugly one btw lol) we disagree on practically everything, she likes to watch Oprah, i watch every sporting event on (including ESPN classic) So a lot of times we bump heads on topics, by blogging i can get unbiased (to my own situation) but unbiased opinions on my views, thoughts, and topics I write about. and she gets to watch Oprah ;-D

but that's not the only reason, if it was i should go to a counselor, i love to ramble and think about abstract things, and by bloging i can do that much more often than at home, and get more than just one view. Of course when i come home at night, me and my wife still talk about everything under the sun. and we still have different opinions :-)

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Thanks for sharing Rubin, I think that's a much less cynical view than g green seems to have. But if that is unfair to g green, or a mis-interpretation of the comment, I apologize.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home