Monday, December 06, 2004

Am I a Grinch?

I never thought of myself as one before, but somehow, this year I am feeling particularly "Grinch-like". My Grinchness results from the recent decorating activity in my company's front lobby. I have had a particularly strong reaction to these decorations. The question is, am I a grinch, or is the degree of decoration in very poor taste.

Let's start with some history. Although I am Jewish, I have never objected to pdc's (Public Displays of Christmas). I like the lights, and the decorations, etc., as long as it isn't rubbing my nose in it. I have always had a preference for "understated elegance". My jewelry tends to go that way, as does my clothing. I have never been very big on excessive fluff. Some of the most elegant Christmas displays I have ever seen have been in historic or classic homes, where greenery decorated with large red bows traces the bannister and the mantle, the tree is heavy with ornaments but lighter on lights, and candles shine in every window. If you are going to light the outside of your house, pay attention to what the display looks like. I am not impressed by sagging straight lines, or masses of blinking multi-colored lights, and I am beginning to really dislike holiday blowup figures of santa and reindeer. What's next? A blow up creche? On that topic, one of the loveliest displays I ever saw was a creche where each day the magii and their cames drew closer and closer, until finally on Christmas the baby was introduced, and the full scene was complete.

Now, back to my office. The decoration is over the top. Personally, it does not look professional to me. Is this really what we want our clients to see when they walk in the door? What if the client is Jewish or Muslim, and less open minded than I? If it were my front office I would remove the paint on the doors, and the snowflake cut outs from the walls. I would move the display on the ledge to the floor and relegate it to a corner. One wreath in the small lobby space is sufficient, not three. The tree is fine, the pointsettas are fine, but the rest.....

Oh, and adding a menorah does not automatically make any seasonal display right. I have no problem if my company wants to put a menorah in the lobby for the next 9 days, but it is absolutely not necessary, and all my menorah's will be in use at home during that time, as ritual objects.

PS If this does sound like a grinch, then so be it -- I am going to be grinchy until January when this all goes away for another year....

6 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I am a proud grinch, so much so that I wear a green suit for the entire month of December.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

I too am a BIG Grinch when it comes to this time of year! I guess it just reminds us that we are truly in golus.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

...I forgot to mention. I added a link to your site in my blogroll :)

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't think you are a grinch... i love this time of year, i love christmas decorations, and i love national lampoon's christmas vacation. however, i think the decorations are over the top and extremely unprofessional. there's something about the blue and teal decorated tree, beside the spraypainted windows, beside the cutout snowflakes, beside the country christmas wall hangings that rubs me the wrong way.

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go for the tacky look. I've a blow-up snow-man, a blow-up santa, a thousand lights, three reindeer, and a sled full of plastic toys. I figure if there is one time in the year to be tacky, its Christmas. Over the Top!!!! I'll post a picture to my blog. It's great. And I've been thinking of all the things I could do. If that power meter isn't spinning wildly, it isn't Christmas.
Of course, my lovely wife decorates the inside of the house very tastefully. But I get the outside! That is a man's lot, but that is the topic for a full-scale blog.

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home