Tuesday, December 07, 2004

I'm sorry, but I just can't.

I try to help people in need. Giving tzedakah, charity, or lending a helping hand is very important to me. However, I received a request yesterday, that I just can't accommodate. Let me explain the sad case, and then I will explain why I can't help.

This poor woman was recently widowed. Since then she has been subjected to humiliation, abuse, and physical and psychological torture. She has lost confidence in herself and those around her. She and her daughter are homeless and stateless. She fears the loss of what little money she has left, thus making her totally dependent on her persecutors. She begs me to help her find a place of shelter where she can support her husband's legacy. But she does ask if I can't help, to please keep her request secret.

Of course that I recognized the name of the person asking for my assistance was a surprise to me. Normally, the names and circumstances of someone making this type of request are completely foreign. You see, this letter came from Mrs. Suha Arafat and of course it isn't billions that everyone says she wants to rescue, but only $18 million, and she is quite sure that I want to help her for a "small remuneration". That she writes from an email address in the Netherlands shouldn't bother me a bit. Or that the address where I should write is at familymailbox.com. I am tempted to open a new hotmail account just to see how far I can take this, but considering my family history.....

So, I am really sorry Suha, but I just can't help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home