Monday, January 03, 2005

Changing Family Roles

For almost our entire marriage, my husband has worked full-time, and I have worked part-time outside the home. Some of that time I was at school, but clearly my schedule was much more flexible than his. In all those years, I was generally responsible for making sure that the house ran, the children got where they needed to be, the bills got paid, and there was food on the table.
Three-and-a-half years ago, I went to work full-time for a consulting firm in Northern Virginia. Even though only one child was still at home, it seemed that I still had all my old responsibilities, including making sure appointments were made and kept, cooking and shopping, making lunches for son and husband in the morning, etc. Slowly things deteriorated. I was constantly tired, always grumpy or angry, and felt overwhelmed and stressed. My husband and I had some talks, and he took over half the regular grocery shopping, and made an effort to come home earlier and prepare supper occasionally. He also helped with appointments (driving not making) and some picking up.
In October, my husband left his job and started looking for something else. Since then he has slowly taken over more responsibilities. Most of the driving, most of the shopping, most of the cooking.
But I have noticed a strange phenomenon. The more he does, the less I want to do. It's as if our positions were reversed. Now I'm the one who comes home and wants to put my feet up. He's the one who wants me to: help with supper, empty the dishwashers, feed the cat, make a salad, etc. Is this because he is resisting, or because he suddenly discovered how exhausting a house can be.
Do you suppose if I am more understanding now, he will continue to be understanding when he goes back to work?

1 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

It is never a bad thing to be more understanding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home