Thursday, September 02, 2004

Bobbsy twins?

I went to see The King and I at Wolf Trap last night with my daughter. The production was a visual delight. The costumes and sets were lovely, and the younger actors and actresses were a pleasure. They did appeared to be having a few sound issues, and that made some of the singing difficult to hear. Sandy Duncan sounded a little hoarse, but she certainly didn't have any difficulty portraying a young widow, which was certainly a possibility. I didn't like the king much. I thought there was no spark between the king and Anna. Still, the music is always delightful, and it was a very pleasant evening.

I did see one strange sight however. There was a mother there with her daughter, and they appeared to be wearing the same clothes. Well, they were certainly wearing the same shirts. Black with a thin white stripe, hook and eye closures down the front. You would think, since they live in the same house and drove to work together yesterday they would have known in advance that there was going to be a problem. They did, but it didn't register. When the daughter came downstairs she was wearing a business suit and white shirt (also a suit that her mother owns another of, but that is a different story). She had a portrait session at work and needed to be dressed formally. She did mention something about bringing along the same outfit to wear later, and her mother saw the shirt, but it didn't really hit her what it would mean for later.

Of course the mother is me, the daughter mine. We were both wearing black shirts and light pants last night. I felt like one of the Bobbsy Twins! I know we looked silly. I should have changed, or she should have brought a different shirt, but we are both stubborn :-) We never wore mother and daughter dresses when she was young. I thought they were silly. Now look at us. She did pay me one compliment though, when I said that I felt foolish as her mother dressing the same way, she said I couldn't be her mother. At least I think it was a compliment?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home