Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Bus bombings

I tried to think of a cute title, but I quickly realized that there is nothing cute about terrorism, or homicidal bombers, or targeting mothers, children, and other innocent civilians. Damn it, I could understand if you want to violently protest against an act by a government, go after a leader of the government.

(Please note -- to any government officials reading this blog, I do NOT advocate terrorism in any form, Nor do I support any terrorist acts including political assassination. I just think that on a scale of 1 to 10 of deplorable activist activities, killing innocent women and children is a 20, and bombings and terrorist acts of any sort against civilians or non-civilians are a 19.)

Anyway -- getting that caveat out of the way, I am incredibly saddened by the bombings that took place in Israel yesterday. Two buses exploded in Beersheva, killing 16 and injuring 101. Riding the buses is a way of life in Israel, and I suppose one of the goals is to disrupt everyday life. But most Israelis have an indomitable spirit. I am not entirely sure that I could continue to ride the buses day after day, knowing that any day the bomb could be on my bus.

They call native Israelis "Sabras". The sabra is a very prickly cactus with very sweet fruit. They are desert plants and can survive in almost any condition. Israelis will survive. It may not be the way the United States, the Arab States, or the United Nations wants them to survive, but they will survive, and they will never break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home