Friday, August 25, 2006

Meowing

Is "meowing" at someone harassment?

I'll admit, I love my cat. In fact, I like cats in general. I think my kitty is wonderful. She cuddles up next to me when I read in the living room; she rolls over onto her back so I can rub her belly; and she has mastered the art of 'hampering' by weaving in and out of my legs when I walk down the stairs.

Of course some people think she is a devil cat. She clamps down on your hand with her teeth if you do something she doesn't like, or even if she has had enough, and she is black, and she was born on the 13th, but still I love her.

All this is a preamble to a habit that started at work more than a year ago now. The finance group used to be at one end of my floor. On the tops of their cube walls they had a collection of rubber ducks -- ducks with bunny ears, ducks coming out of shells, ducks in sheep clothing, ducks in camouflage, ducks in red hats. I thought with all these cute ducks there should be a kitty duck, but there were none, so every time I walked by finance I "meowed." It became a signature, and if I didn't meow the group thought maybe something was wrong.

Gloria used to meow back. She left the company a few months ago to move to Texas and I miss her. Before she left she gave me a beanie baby kitty named Snip who sits on my monitor. Valerie also meowed back, and when I go down to the first floor (where finance moved when we grew) I still meow at her and she meows back. She has Snip's friend Nip on her monitor.

Now I find out that some people consider meowing harassment. A woman had her neighbor's 14 year old son arrested for harassment for meowing at her every time she came outside. Is that really harassment, and since when does an adult woman let a kid get to her like that. I say grow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home